Kolomenskoye Estate Museum

The site of a former residence of the tsars, 10 km (6 miles) to the south-east of the city centre, has become an open-air museum presenting a splendid collection of 16th–17th churches and other buildings.

The Church of the Ascension, built in 1532, was the first stone version of the wooden 'tent-roofed' church, a precursor of churches like the Cathedral of St Basil; it became UNESCO World Heritage site in 1995. Many of the other buildings here today are made of wood, and some have been brought from other parts of Russia. They include a church from Karelia, Peter the Great's Cabin, a Cossack fort, windmills and a 12th-century brewery. The park has fine views over the River Moskva, and is accessible by boat, or by Metro.

There are no comments yet - add yours below

This helps to discourage spam