Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts

Named after Russia's most cherished poet, the Pushkin Museum was built in grand Neo-classical style in 1898–1912. It contains a notable collection of Western paintings, second in Russia only to the Hermitage in St Petersburg; this includes work by Botticelli, Cranach, Veronese, Rubens, Rembrandt, Watteau, Chardin, David, Constable, Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Matisse and Picasso.

The museum also has a vast collection of art and artefacts from the ancient Egyptian, Classical, Byzantine and medieval worlds; this includes (controversially) the gold treasure of ancient Troy excavated by Heinrich Schliemann in the 1870s, and spirited out of Berlin at the end of the Second World War.

Opposite the museum is the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, a classic neo-Byzantine church built 1839–60, demolished by the Soviet government in 1931 and rebuilt in 1990–2000 after the collapse of Communism.
www.museum.ru/gmii/defengl.htm

There are no comments yet - add yours below

This helps to discourage spam